Chicken Pot Pie
2 1/2 pounds bone-in skin-on split chicken breasts
salt and pepper to taste
8 tbls (1 stick) unsalted butter
1 celery rib, chopped fine
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/3 cup all purpose flour
1 (12 oz) can evaporated milk
2 cups low sodium chicken broth
1 tsp grated lemon zest
3 scallions, chopped
1 recipe double crust pie dough (bottoM crust to fit into a 9 inch pie plat, top crust rolled to a 12 inch circle and refrigerated (your can use premade pie crust too)
3/4 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1 large egg, beaten for brushing the top of the pie
1. Adjust oven rack to the middle position and heat the oven to 400 degrees. Cover a rimmed baking sheet with foil.
2. Pat the chicken dry wiht paper towels and season with salt and pepper. Place on the prepared pan, skin-side up, and roast until the temperatures registeres 160 degrees, 35-40 minutes. Let cool to room temperature, remove and discard the skin, and cut the meat from the bone and shred the chicken into 2 inch pieces. Reduce the oven temperature to 350 degrees.
3. Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Cook the celery until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in the flour and cook until it begins to brown, about 1 minute. Stir in the milk, broth and the zest of the lemon and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer until thickened, about 5 minutes. Strain the sauce into a large bowl, (discard the vegetables), stir in the chicken and scallions, and season to taste with the salt and pepper. Let the filling cool until just warm, about 30 minutes.
4. Spoon the chicken mixture into the pie shell and sprinkle with the cheese. Top with the remaining chilled circle of dough. Trim all but 1/2 inch of the dough overhanging the edge of the pie plate. Press the top and bottom crusts together, then tuck the edges underneath. Crimp the dough evently around the edge of the pie using your fingers.
5. Cut four 2-inch slits in the top of the dough, brush with beaten egg, and bake until crust is deep golden brown, 45 to 55 minutes. Let cool 10 minutes before serving.