- Bring broth and saffron to a boil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Remove from heat.
- Cook sausage in a large dutch oven over medium heat. Stirring occasionally, 6 minutes or until browned. Remove sausage, reserving drippings in skillet. Drain sausage on paper towels.
- Saute onion and mushrooms in hot drippings 6 minutes or until onion is tender. Add broth mixture, thyme, and paprika simmer 5 minutes.
- Stir together baking mix and milk in a medium bowl with a fork just until dry ingredients are moistened. Turn dough out onto a floured surface, and knead 4 to 5 times. Roll dough to 1/8 thickness; cut into (1 1/2 x 2 1/2 inch) strips.
- Bring broth mixture to a rolling boil. Drop dumplings, 1 at a time, into boiling broth mixture. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in sausage and chicken; bring to a boil, and cook just until thoroughly heated. Let stand 5 minutes or until sauce slightly thickens.
Spanish Chicken and Dumplings
Try a new twist on traditional chicken and dumplings with the addition of paprika and chorizo sausage.
6 cups low sodium fat free chicken broth
1/2 tsp. saffron threads
4 oz chorizo sausage or smoked sausage diagonally sliced
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 (8 oz) package baby portobello (crimini) mushrooms, quartered
1 tsp fresh thyme leaves
1/4 tsp smoked paprika
1 1/2 cups all purpose baking mix
13 cup milk
2 cups shredded rotisserie's chicken
Note: we tested with Bisquick Original Pancake and Baking Mix.