- 1 pound dry pinto beans
- 5 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 pound bacon, diced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 fresh tomatoes, diced
- 1 (3.5 ounce) can sliced jalapeno peppers (optional)
- 1 (12 fluid of water of chicken stock
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons of cumin
- 2 tablespoons of chilli powder
- Place pinto beans in a slow cooker, and completely cover with water. Mix in garlic and salt. Cover, and cook 6 - 7 hours. (If you cook them on the stove top brown onion, bacon and grate in garlic) Place in your dry beans and cover pot halfway full with water or chicken stock and bring to a boil with lid on. Simmer for 3-4 hours over med/low heat until tender.
- Cook the bacon in a skillet over medium high heat until evenly brown, but still tender. Drain about half the fat. Place onion in the skillet, and cook until tender. Mix in tomatoes and jalapenos, and cook until heated through. Transfer to the slow cooker, stirring into the beans.
- Cover slow cooker, and continue cooking 4 hours on Low. Mix in the cilantro about 30 minutes before the end of the cook time.